What is the minimum wage for farm workers in Zambia? Today we share with you a minimum wage is the lowest wage a worker may receive per their work as mandated and stipulated in the law.
The purpose of the minimum wage is for the protection of workers from being exploited by their employers by paying them unfairly low wages. So, a minimum wage helps ensure a fair and equitable share of advances for all and minimum benefits for all employed and in need of such protection. Minimum wages can also be an element of policy to reduce poverty and inequality, including between men and women, by making sure there is equal pay for the same work irrespective of the sex of the individual doing it.
READ: How Much Secondary Teachers earn in Zambia
Chiefly, the minimum wage system need not be viewed or used in isolation. However, it is designed to complement and strengthen other social and employment policies. A variety of policies can be used to address income and labor market inequality. For example, these include employment policies, social transfers, and creating an enabling environment for sustainable business.
Laws regarding minimum wage were first introduced in Australia and New Zealand to increase the income of unskilled workers. Today, most modern developed economies, as well as many underdeveloped economies, have national minimum wages. For example, one of the nations that have a minimum is the Republic of Zambia.
A farmworker is simply a person that is hired to work on the farm. General farm workers are tasked with planting, cultivating, and harvest of crops as well as raising livestock and poultry. They are also charged with the maintenance and repair of farm equipment.
Some of the duties that farmworkers perform are as follows:
- Planting, fertilizing, spraying, watering, and harvesting crops
- Feeding and raising livestock and poultry
- Milking cows
- Leading or assisting in cattle breeding
- Operating and maintaining agricultural machinery and equipment
- Follow food safety and biosecurity procedures
- Detecting diseases and health problems in plants, livestock, and poultry
- Check quality products and get ready for the market
- Adjusting and monitoring ducts, airflow, and temperature in barns, coops, and chicken coops
- Maintaining or assisting in the maintenance of agricultural facilities and infrastructure, including cleaning cages, barns, yards, and cages.
- General farm workers can specialize in a particular type of crop or animal husbandry through experience.
There are no special education or training requirements for an individual to work as a farm worker in Zambia. Basically, their work mainly involves getting their hands dirty. However, a farmworker is required to spray and apply chemicals to plants, Grade 9 or 12 certificates are advantageous for reading purposes. This is true, especially for farms that do not have expert agriculturists. It can be required to have a first aid course or certificate.
What is the minimum wage for farmworkers in Zambia?
Finally, The minimum wage for farmworkers in Zambia According to the Zambia National Farmers Union (ZNFU) and Zambia Farm Employers Association (ZFEA), the minimum wage for farmworkers is K1,200 per month.
- 10 Paying Apps In Zambia To Make Money
- Zambia Air Services Training Institute (Zasti) Fees
- Online Jobs That Pay Through Mobile Money in Zambia
- 14 Profitable Business ideas(Zambia)
- Banks in Zambia(Overview)
- Expensive Animals On The Black Market
- Bank Balance Is Requirement For South Africa Visa
- Tourist Visa Requirements For China
- Entry-level Software Developer Salary South Africa